1781882_614083722000381_817411157_n.jpg

History

The site of Cannock Stadium Park back in 1891-1914 compromised of three parts.  The western half of the site was allotment gardens seperated by a Tramway carrying coal from the West Cannock colliery company to Huntington Wharf run through the centre of the festival Stadium on its way to the terminal by the White Lion which closed in 1938. The eastern section (lower sections where football pitches are today) was 13 acres of land that was used as a refuse tip.

oldmap.png
19106053_10214116316728872_5164628639351

The area where the toddlers play area is situated now was a pitch and putt.  The land was gifted to the community and was appropriated by the council in 1950 to provide playing fields.   Cannock Chase Urban Council then built 'Festival Stadium' named after the Festival of Britain when it was opened in 1951.  The eastern part of the site was turned into football pitches and playing fields.

The Stadium was opened by Reg Harris (Reginald Hargreaves Harris OBE was a British track racing cyclist in the 1940s and 1950s. He won the world amateur sprint title in 1947, two Olympic silver medals in 1948, and the professional title in 1949, 1950, 1951 and 1954).  ​The stadium featured a cycle and running track

220px-Reg_Harris_wins_quarter_final_of_1
12494988_10205492846296826_2178475711867

A synthetic track was added in 1984.  The stadium continued to host lots of community events.

Hosted lots of Inter-school sports days through-out the 1970's.  The building was also used for many functions including weddings.

142218_ec76beea.jpg
OAWYOX4XE5BCNE774MAOENFKLA.jpg

The stadium was closed in 2008 forcing groups to find new facilities.  The site was bulldosed a few years later to make way for housing (350 dwellings).

The planning bid was rejected by the Secretary of State and the land was left abandoned, susceptible to fly-tipping, litter and anti-sociable behaviour. 

before-land-not-used_35918672954_o.jpg
revamp-plan.jpg

Plans were agreed in 2014 to re-vamp the park by Cannock Chase Council.

The playground was added in 2016, with Phase 1 and MUGA being added in 2018. 

cannock-stadium-site_36701403813_o.jpg
FB Profile.jpg

FRIENDS OF CANNOCK STADIUM PARK started in 2018 with our visions to keep the park usable for community use.

Phase 1 was officially opened on 19th September 2018 by Cllr George Adamson 

42111159_528141924315101_721711588573393
history.jpg

We have since made minor improvements for the community and allotments by gaining funding from corporations.  This has included new tables and benches and equipment to accomplish our goals.